The Eastgate Mall shopping centre is one of the premier retail therapy spots in Johannesburg, with 257 stores catering for a variety of styles and tastes. Eastgate has become a landmark on the East side of town, popular for its convenience, variety and reasonable prices.
Where is Eastgate?
The Eastgate Mall can be found in Bedfordview, between the Johannesburg city centre and the OR Tambo International Airport. The mall is just off the R24. From the R24 (heading towards the city centre of Johannesburg), take a left turn on to Allum Road, then left onto Cumberland Road. You will be able to see the shopping centre and can enter via one of the entrance gates.
What attractions are at Eastgate?
Over two million people visit the centre each month, browsing and buying around exclusive boutiques, top restaurants, fast food outlets, gadget shops, hairdressers and other beauty specialists, confectionaries, large book dealers, an Automobile Association, and department stores. For the movie-mad, there is also a large Ster-Kinekor movie complex, and Eastgate visitors can also look forward to various competitions and promotional events taking place in the mall. Fun activities for children are set up in the centre on public holidays and during school breaks.
Walking around the Eastgate Mall shopping centre can take a lot of energy, giving you a great excuse to refuel at one of the mall’s eateries. A new open-air piazza recently opened at Eastgate with an array of options for discerning diners. There are also over 15 food outlets and 7 fast food outlets in the mall.
What other facilities does the mall have on offer?
- 4 306 free parking bays – one of the few shopping centres in South Africa that offer free parking.
- 188 undercover bays
- 3 baby change and feed facilities (next to Entrance 7, Entrance 6 and at the Food Court)
- Free wheelchair service for disabled customers. Wheelchairs can be hired from the Management Reception at Eastgate. You can contact (011) 479 6000 to book a wheelchair. The service is free, although a refundable deposit in required upon hire.
- There are also special parking bays close to entrances for disabled visitors.
- Many of the toilet facilities are disability friendly.
- An information desk to assist customers with queries
- The information desk also sells Eastgate gift cards. These gift cards are redeemable for a period of one year at any Liberty Life Property Centres nationwide. These outlets include Eastgate, Alberton City, Sandton City, Greenacres in Port Elizabeth, the Midlands Mall in Pietermaritzburg, and the Promenade in Mitchells Plan, Cape Town.
- At the Info Kiosk, you can also pick up a printed store directory to help you find your way around and make your shopping experience all the more pleasant and rewarding.
- The Info Kiosk is open from Mondays to Thursday from 08h45 to 17h45; on Fridays from 8h45 to 20h45; on Saturdays from 08h45 to 16h45; and on Sundays from 08h45 to 16h45.
The retail shops at Eastgate are open from Monday to Thursdays from 09h00 to 18h00; from 09h00 to 21h00 on Fridays; and from 09h00 to 17h00 on Saturday and Sunday. The cinemas and restaurants are open later than these times. Certain stores may also close for specific periods for religious reasons
Contact Eastgate Mall
Eastgate Mall can be found on 43 Bradford Road in Eastgate, Bedfordview. You can also give the centre a call on 011 479 6000 or fax on 011 622 2473.
With the wide range of shopping options, Eastgate is a great place to come and get your chores done, or to spend an entire day reveling in the retail glory. Eastgate Mall is known for its friendly and welcoming environment, making you feel comfortable and helping you to make the most of your shopping experience. The mall also focuses on choice and variety, offering retailers that cater to a range of tastes, wallets and purposes.