The V&A Waterfront Mall in Cape Town is a tourist hotspot and is actually still a working harbour. In fact, the V&A Waterfront is the most visited attraction in South Africa where architecture has been used creatively to make for a functional and visually pleasing harbour and tourist attraction.
This Mall in Cape Town can lay claim to being one of the top shopping destinations in South Africa. The Waterfront area started as a working harbour since around 1860. In 1988, the docks were redeveloped and the harbour became a “trading post” of the 21st century, equipped with the shopping centre, various entertainment venues and world class accommodation and office locations.
At the V&A Waterfront Mall, you can find over 250 shops catering to a range of tastes and budgets. Whether you are looking for a craft stall or designer boutique, the range of shops at the Waterfront Mall will satisfy any shopper. As well as a number of coffee shops and restaurants (both franchise and otherwise), the Waterfront also offers live entertainment, and fun children’s activities such as the Telkom Exploratorium and the Two Oceans Aquarium.
Another attraction is the SA Maritum Museum, consisting of interactive displays explaining the histories of local shipwrecks; and the at Clock Tower’s Nelson Mandela Gateway visitors can view exhibits of educational and historical material surrounding Robben Island. As the sun sets over the scenic harbour, you can also enjoy a sundowner or harbour cruise to make for a relaxing end to a busy day’s shopping.
What can I buy from the V&A Waterfront Mall?
- Local and international brands
- High fashion goods
- African curios
- Leather goods
- Exclusive and unique jewellery
- Lifestyle items
- Art galleries
- Audio-visual equipment
What you need to know about the V&A Waterfront Mall:
- There is pay-per-hour underground parking or free parking available.
- The Waterfront stays open every day of the week from 9:00 to 21:00.
- The Two Oceans Aquarium is open on Mondays to Fridays from 09:30 to 18:00. Give yourself at least an hour to fully explore all that the aquarium has to offer. There is also a restaurant within the aquarium.
Other shopping attractions at the V&A Waterfront
- The Red Shed Craft Workshop: The craft market is open from 9:00 to 21:00 on Mondays to Fridays; and from 10:00 to 21:00 on Sundays and Public Holidays. At The Red Shed Craft Workshop, you can find an interesting and varied mix of handmade art and other merchandise.
- Waterfront Craft Market: near the Two Oceans Aquarium is another unique craft market that has a diverse range of handcrafts, such as traditional curios, antiques and holistic lifestyle goods. This market is open every day of the week from 9:30 to 18:00. To find out which tenants occupy the craft market, simply call the Waterfront on their general helpline number.
- The Barrow Court: For shoppers and visitors looking for something different, the Barrow court showcases the work of entrepreneurs with bright ideas and big dreams. The entrepreneurs use specially crafter barrows to showcase their work, hence the name of the area on the Victoria Wharf. At the barrow Court you are sure to be dazzled and intrigued by something novel or exciting.
Check out the following video of the Cape Town Waterfront shopping centre for a more visual idea of the shops and harbour:
Video: Shopping at the Waterfront Mall in Cape Town
Contact the V&A Waterfront
If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or requests, do not hesitate to contact the staff at the Waterfront by calling +27 (0) 21 408 7600 or visiting the website on www.waterfront.co.za.
Where is the V&A Waterfront Mall?
The Waterfront enjoys a beautiful location on the sea, overlooked by Table Mountain. To get to the Waterfront, you can walk form the city centre. If you are coming from Cape Town International Airport, you exit the airport and continue for about 3km, before merging onto the N2 highway. When on the highway, follow the signs towards the city and after about 18km you will move into the lane that takes you to the M6. You can then turn right at the traffic light into the V&A Waterfront main gate.